Happy (almost) Spring everyone! Are you ready to learn how to create this super colorful and fun, DIY tassel garland? Great! Let’s get started! 🙂
For this tutorial, I used HobiumYarns new La Mia Mini Yarns 20 pack (aren’t the little skeins adorable?), and selected 5 different, spring-inspired colors out of the set to use to create the garland. Feel free to choose the same 5 colors, or 5 different colors – you choose! 😉
1 pack of La Mia Mini Yarns 20 pack – you will need 5 of the 20 mini skeins to create the garland
A small piece of 3.5″ x 3.5″ cardboard
A pair of scissors
*Note: Each mini skein will make 3 tassels. Follow the directions below with 4 mini skeins in the colors of your choice to create 12 tassels total. The yarn of the 5th mini skein (7 feet total) is used for the “string” the tassels will be attached to, to create the garland.
(To make a yarn tassel)
1. Take your 3.5″ x 3.5″ piece of cardboard, and wrap the yarn around it 50 times as pictured.
2. Cut the yarn, and tie a second, 6″ piece of yarn to the top of the yarn bundle.
3. Now, cut all of the yarn at the bottom of the yarn bundle as pictured.
4. Take 1 more piece of yarn, (6″ long) and tie it 1″ down from the top of the tassel.
5. Cut all of the yarn at the bottom of the tassel evenly, and repeat steps 1-5, 11 more times to create 12 mini yarn tassels total.
(Assembling the garland)
1. Cut a 7′ (foot) piece of yarn.
2. Using the 2 long pieces of yarn still attached to the top of each tassel, tie 1 mini tassel (alternating colors) to the 7′ yarn, (trimming the long pieces short after knotting) – 1 every 6″ to create garland.
Ta da! You’re all finished, enjoy your fun new, spring-inspired garland! 🙂
Brenna Ann is the designer and maker behind BrennaAnnHandmade. She crochets & knits cozy pieces of knitwear and accessories at her handmade shop on Etsy. She also has a blog, YouTube channel, and shares daily behind-the-scenes photos of her handmade life on Instagram @BrennaAnnHandmade.